Source: City of Sydney archives
From about 1890 to 1900 the site we’re on was occupied by a coachbuilder, then a wheelwright and finally a farrier (a smith who shoes horses).
This Federation freestyle building now occupied by Banchō, The Ultimo hotel and our neighbours was built in 1910/11 as part of the city markets complex that included the vegetable market. Designed by City Architect George McRae – who also designed the Queen Victoria Building, Capitol Theatre, Rozelle Tram Depot and other Sydney landmarks – it was leased for many years to Wing On & Co. (永安), a Zhongshan district-based firm.
Wing On & Co. traded as ‘Eastern and General Merchants’ importing nuts, tea, rice, fireworks and ginger, as well as
‘Wholesale Fruit and Commission Agents’ especially in the banana trade. The building was used as a warehouse for bananas imported from their own plantations in Fiji and North Queensland.
Recognising the heritage of the building, and its surroundings, we have a regularly changing Market Store cocktail list which uses seasonal produce from the nearby fruit and vegetable markets.
NSW Government Office of Environment & Heritage (web page)
Dictionary of Sydney, dictionaryofsydney.org