TAKING SUBMISSIONS FOR 2nd HALF 2022 – apply to exhibit or perform at Banchō in 2022
We still have a few spots open for the program in 2022 – we’re looking for a mix of artists across the range of visual, literary, performing and culinary arts, with works themed around the ideas of COMMUNITY, DIVERSITY and/or RESILIENCE.
Banchō will be able to exhibit up to seven physical artworks on the internal walls, or up to five standing pieces (depending on size and types of works), or accommodate four-to-five performances per month (likely on Tuesday or Wednesday nights). See photos below of our wall spaces.
APPLICATION CRITERIA – you must:
- Be an artist from the greater Sydney area;
- Have works that represent the themes of community, diversity and/or resilience;
- Have your works ready for approval by the Project Manager at least 2 weeks before your allocated month start;
- Have your own insurance against artworks if required (Banchō cannot take responsibility for any risks to the works while they are in the venue)
HOW TO APPLY
1. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org by with your story – we want to know:
- Who are you?
- Where are you from?
- What are your proposed submissions?
- What inspires your art?
- How long have you been at it?
- Are you willing to sell your artworks or associated merchandise?
- Your contact details: full name, mobile contact, email, Instagram/Twitter handle, Facebook page or website if applicable
2. Send us at least two samples of your art (photos, videos, audio files welcome – Dropbox or WeTransfer if necessary).
3. Detail your artwork/performance installation requirements (eg. specific wall hangings, plinths, audio visual equipment).
4. Select 2-3 preferred exhibition months of 2022.
Artists and their works will be selected based on the broad themes of ‘community’, ‘diversity’ and ‘resilience’.
In the spirit of community, artists/works should represent Chinatown and/or Sydney, or characteristics of Chinatown and/or Sydney.
In the spirit of diversity, the program will endeavour to select artists/works from a range of art categories (visual, literary, performance, culinary and more) and mediums, genders (including non-binary and LGBTIQA+ communities), age groups (from 18+), areas in Sydney, ethnicities and cultures.
In the spirit of resilience, the program will select artists/works that represent or have a background story of resilience in all its forms.
WHAT YOU GET
If you’re selected to be part of our ‘Curated by Banchō’ program, you’ll receive:
- Approximately four weeks of exhibiting / performing your works at Banchō, including an opening night event
- Opportunity to sell your works or associated merchandise through Banchō (no commissions)
- Artwork installation support
- Marketing exposure (including paid ads) and support
- Official event listing with City of Sydney
We’re genuinely excited about supporting emerging artists through our venue and look forward to seeing your applications. If you have any queries at all, please don’t hesitate to contact Project Manager, Tina Wing Kee on email@example.com
Banchō internal wall spaces